Elbow Park is named after the Elbow River, which borders the neighbourhood to the south and east. It was established in 1910, three years after it was annexed to Calgary. Elbow Park is also bordered by Elbow Drive to the east.
Elbow River features a number of refreshing pathways for the active residents. As if that's not enough, Elbow Park is also near River Park and Stanley Park, giving residents a lot of options for walking, biking, and playing. But the main park within the neighbourhood will also suffice as it has a large playground, tennis courts, a skating rink, and an area where dogs can freely play without leash.
The area is served by Elbow Park Elementary School, which was founded in 1926. Elbow Park is also home to the William Reid Bilingual Elementary School.