Kilarney / Glengarry was established in 1906. By 1910, it was annexed to Calgary. The neighbourhood was named after Glengarry County in Ontario as the first residents of Killarney/Glengarry came from that area.
The area is surrounded by major roads: 17th Avenue S.W. to the north, Richmond Road S.W. to the south, 25A Street S.W. to the east, 37th Street S.W. This makes it easy for residents to travel to other areas including Downtown.
Not that Killarney / Glengarry residents really need to travel when they have everything they need within the neighbourhood. It is home to Westbrook Mall, which is a local shopping centre with a Walmart and Canada Safeway. Various establishments can also be found along 17th Avenue, 26th Avenue, and 37th Street S.W.