Airdrie used to be a railway siding. It was designated as such in 1889 while the Calgary and Edmonton Railway was being constructed. The community is located north of Calgary and within the Calgary-Edmonton Corridor.
By 1901, the first farmhouse was built in Airdrie. The rest, as they say, is history with the community established as a village in 1909, as town in 1974, and finally as a city in 1985. Among the major roads surrounding Airdrie are the Queen Elizabeth II Highway and Highway 567.