There are a number of irrigation canals found in Irricana--and that’s how this town got its name. It’s a contraction of the words irrigation and canals. The irrigation projects started as far back as the early 1900s.
Irricana quickly progressed after that. By 1909, the town had a post office, store, and even a hotel. It was incorporated as a village in 1911. It wasn’t until 2005 that it was officially established as a town.