West Hillhurst was annexed to Calgary in 1907. It wasn't until 1945 that it was actually established as a neighbourhood. This inner city community is bisected by Crowchild Trail. To the east of the neighbourhood is 18 Street W while 28 Street W is to the west.
South of West Hillhurst is Bow River, an important body of water in Calgary. The Bow River pathway along the banks of the river is a popular place where residents and can walk and bike safely. Some people also rollerblade and skateboard along the pathway.
Major developments in West Hillhurst happened shortly after it was established. The most noted structures built were the Victory Houses or Strawberry-box houses built during World War II. While built as temporary homes, some of these houses are currently still standing in West Hillhurst.